How to care for your precious metals, coins, gold plating and gemstone jewellery:
Caring For and Wearing Your Jewellery
- To help protect the durability and quality of your jewellery, particularly with coins, gold plated and gemstones pieces, remove your jewellery when you shower, bathe or engage in heavy exercise, particularly when swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool.
- Avoid spraying perfume, applying creams or any other liquids directly onto your jewellery.
- Keep your jewellery away from extreme temperatures, humidity or sunlight.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery when using bleach, cleaning products and other chemicals.
How to Store Your Jewellery
- Silver, brass, coins and gold plated jewellery will naturally tarnish and oxidise over time. Storing your jewellery in a sealed plastic bag or airtight box, will keep out the air that causes oxidation. Storing it sensibly will keep it looking newer for longer.
- Ideally store your pieces of jewellery separately, so that they don’t rub together or become tangled.
- Do not store your jewellery in damp or humid conditions as this causes tarnishing and a damp environment attracts dust to stick and settle in the hard-to-clean settings.
Cleaning Precious Metals
- To keep your jewellery looking shiny and to remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish, we recommend using a polishing cloth. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions.
- A Silver cleaner can be used to clean Sterling Silver pieces but not on any gold/ silver plated jewellery or coin pieces which are made up of mixed metals.
- We offer a free polishing service to bring back that brand new shine on any of your Boodi jewellery, particularly great for the mixed metal coins, with only return postage to be paid. Please enquire via email.
- We use a high micron 24 karat gold plating over sterling silver. Gold plating is a surface layer and will wear over time. The tips above will prolong this wear. Earrings and necklaces tend to get less wear than rings. Taking your rings off when washing your hands will help prolong wear.
- We offer an affordable re-plating service to our customers. Please enquire via email.
- You can clean your gemstones with a clean, soft, damp cloth after wearing or occasionally a very soft toothbrush and soapy water.
- Very porous stones such as Turquoise and Emerald should be cleaned using an untreated, dry, soft cloth only.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean gemstones as they can cause scratching.
We want you to enjoy wearing your pieces of jewellery for as long as possible. If your jewellery gets damaged or broken, in many cases we are able to repair it. Please enquire via email.